RICO / Racketeering Defense
What is RICO?
A RICO charge (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) is a wide charge and revolves around the illegal conduct of a business or enterprise (to include fraud for personal product). The federal government has a vast amount of power to pursue these charges. You can be charged with a RICO crime if you have done a number of white collar crimes including:
- Transport/distributing of drugs;
- Gambling (in SC, this could include video poker, or even illegal BINGO);
- Armed robbery or theft;
- Laundering of money; and/or
- Bribery (of a public official or otherwise).
Penalties For “Guilty” Verdict
If you’re found guilty of a RICO charge, the possible consequences include:
- Imprisonment (up to 20-years for each RICO violation);
- Mandatory probation/parole/electronic monitoring/home detention/counseling;
- Loss of right to vote;
- Loss of right to carry or possess a firearm;
- Loss of assets (liquid or real property);
- Substantial monetary fines; and/or
- Reparation to victims.
What To Do Now?
Considering all of the above-mentioned consequences, it’s crucial for you to contact a RICO defense attorney immediately. Your future is at stake.